Questions About Estate Sales
Q: Why should I have an estate sale?
Holding an estate sale can often be an overwhelming experience. With many different reasons to have a sale, including the death of a loved one, downsizing, or even changing your personal style, we can help. Our experienced staff will aide in the details to ensure the sale is a success.
Q: What is the charge for an estate sale?
A commission of 35% to 40% is taken from the gross sales depending on the location and the size of the sale. The client is also charged for a newspaper ad that we take care of placing. This fee is also taken out of the final check.
Q: What services do you provide?
- Promotion of the sale through internet marketing (berenicedenton.com. estatesales.net, estatesales.com. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pintrest, Craigslist, golsn.com),
- plus an email blast to over 100,000 people before all of our sales.
- We bring in tables and clothing racks (if needed) to ensure a proper set up.
- Berenice is a certified appraiser, so she and her crew know how to price items for todays market. We price all the large and most of the small items.
- If there is an over abundance of smalls, we let people bring items to us and price them if they are interested.
- All sale sales are conducted on Fridays and Saturdays, unless we feel it needs to run longer.
- Sale times are different depending on the area the sale is in.
- A clean up service is offered for an additional fee. Price is based on how much is left over after sale is complete.
Q: What happens to items that do not sell?
Items left over can sometimes be taken to another estate sale for a second chance or we have a consignment location. Otherwise it is up to the client as to what they want to do with the remaining items.
Q: Do I need to be present during the sale?
We don’t recommend the homeowners attend their own sales, but it is your decision either way.
Q: How much should I expect to make from my sale?
It really depends. As professional appraisal experts, we are able to evaluate your personal property and tell you what it is really worth. We help you make the decisions about whether things should be kept, passed on to family members or sold in auctions or estate sales.
Q: How long does it take to hold a sale?
We set aside at least one full day for a sale. Sometimes we have 2 day sales and even bring things back to our consignment shop if they just did not find a buyer. We usually like to have 6 weeks to prepare for your sale but just call and we can discuss it.
Q: How do I know if you are trustworthy?
We have been in business for over 40 years and our reputation for being honest and trustworthy is our most valued asset. Unlike some other estate sales people, we do allow you to be at your home on the day of the sale so if you have any concerns with the way we treat your possessions.
Q: What makes Berenice Denton different?
I like to treat every sale as if it were my own. I think about how I would want to be treated and apply that to each estate sale we hold. Plus my experience, education and certifications provide me with more knowledge than most. Plus we have a fabulous team of very capable people.